What to do in case of a flood
- Get flood insurance. Your homeowners insurance policy does not cover flood damage
- Collect emergency building materials if you live in a frequently flooded area: plywood, plastic sheeting, lumber, nails, shovels and sandbags.
- Prepare a survival kit.
- Plan and practice an evacuation route. Establish a meeting place should your family get separated.
- Review how to shut off utilities in an emergency with all family members.
- Move property to a higher place like an attic or second story.
- Have an inventory listing of your belongings if time permits or take pictures of each room
- Listen to a battery operated radio or television for the latest storm information. If advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Move to high ground, avoid rising waters and do not walk or drive through any floodwaters.
- Stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires.
- Listen to the radio and do not return home until authorities indicated it is safe to do so
- Be watchful of snakes that may have found their way into your home.
- Throw away all food that has come into contact with floodwaters. (take a picture and make list of it for your claim, if you can).
- Call a water restoration company who can help you extract surface water.
- Report your loss to your agent so we can help you